The Finnish Transport Agency is an expert organisation responsible for Finland’s roads, railways and waterways and for the overall development of Finland's transport system. We operate under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Transport and Communications.
We act in a responsible, effective and innovative way to optimise the effectiveness of the transport system, improve traffic safety and enhance sustainable development in all regions. Our experts develop services to facilitate travel and transport, thus promoting the development of a well-functioning society. It is our responsibility to maintain the high quality of Finnish infrastructure, which in its turn enables mobility services, robotisation and digitalisation.
The Finnish Transport Agency's tasks
- to maintain and develop the transport system in cooperation with other actors
- to answer for the state-owned road and railway network and for the waterways administered by us; and to coordinate, guide and monitor waterways management throughout the whole country
- to carry the responsibility for large road projects and for the planning, maintenance and building of railways and waterways
- to manage the operations of the area of responsibility Transport and Infrastructure under the Regional Centres for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment (ELY Centres)
- to participate in the coordination of transport and land use
- to handle and develop traffic management in the state-owned transport infrastructure and in shipping
- to provide the operating framework for winter navigation
- to develop and promote traffic services in addition to a well-functioning market for these services
- to promote productivity improvements in transport infrastructure management
- to develop the operational preconditions for public transport and to grant subsidies aimed at promoting merchant shipping and other transport modes
- to maintain and develop hydrographic services
- to ensure a well-functioning transport system under exceptional circumstances as well as under normal circumstances.