West Coast VTS Master's Guide
1 VTS Area
The VTS Area covers the coast along the Sea of Bothnia from Hylkkari light to Vaasa including the merchant shipping lanes, with the exception of the areas administered by the ports.
The boundary line of the West Coast VTS Area runs between the following corner points:
- From Hylkkari light, 60°57.2'N 21°09.5'E
- westward to position 60°57.2'N 20°46.5'E
- to the limit of the territorial sea limit 61°07.6'N 20°46.5'E
- observing the limit of the territorial waters to position 62°36.5’N 20°30.0’E
- 63°21.5'N 20°30.0'E
- Valassaaret lighthouse 63°25.3’N 21°04.1’E
- Ritgrund lighthouse 63°25.5'N 21°30.5’E
The services provided by the VTS centres are described in more detail in the general description of the VTS operations.
2 Reporting procedures
The working channel of West Coast VTS is VHF 9.
Reports should include the following information:
- Name of the vessel
- Name of reporting point
- Intended route. If an alternative route is selected, this must be reported
- upon entry into the VTS Area
- before anchoring
- before leaving an anchorage
- after berthing
- before leaving port
- at the reporting points in the area:
- Southbound vessels shall report 20 minutes before passing Hylkkari light to Archipelago VTS on VHF channel 71.
- Northbound vessels shall report 20 minutes before passing Hylkkari light to West Coast VTS on VHF channel 9.
3 Areas with meeting and overtaking prohibitions
Meeting and overtaking is permanently prohibited in the following areas covered by West Coast VTS:
- Vaasa: Nygrundin portti– Port of Vaasa between longitudes 021º 18.1’ E and 021º 32.1’ E in the 9.0 m channel.
- Kaskinen: In the channel section Buoy Rasken– Port of Kaskinen between latitudes 62º 19.3’ N and 62º 20.8’ N in the 9.0 m channel.
- Kristiinankaupunki: Kristiinankaupunki Lighthouse–Port of Kristiinankaupunki between longitudes 021º 10.2’ E and 021º 18.5’ E in the 12.0 m channel.
- Rauma: Rauma southern channel between longitudes 21º 15.5’ E and 21º 23.8’ E in the 10.0 m channel.
These prohibitions do not apply to meeting and overtaking situations in which at least one of the parties is a tug or a vessel, the size of which is comparable to a tug.
4 Speed limits
The Rauma Valkeakari channel (7.5 m) has an 8 kn (15km/h) speed limit for vessels with a draught of 7 m or more.
5 Contact information
Western Finland Vessel Traffic Centre
Juhana Herttuan puistokatu 21
Telephone: +358 20 448 6645
VHF ch. 9